Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Spotlight Artist: Gail Ragsdale


Our feature Whoa Team artist this week is Gail Ragsdale who sells under the Etsy name, Carpiss. Gail is from the great state of Tennessee and also has a beautiful blog you should be sure to check out.

Here's a photo of Gail driving her 18 year old Friesian gelding, Alpar, who sadly passed away recently.



How long have you been selling on Etsy?

I have been selling on Etsy since Feb 2008.

What do you like about selling on Etsy?
It's user friendly, listing is inexpensive and there is a growing horse art movement! I also like the long listings and the fact you can have your work featured in a Treasury although I haven't been fortunate enough to snag one!!

What are your earliest memories of creating equine art?
I remember always drawing horses, that is all there was for me! My first real solid memory is when we lived in Japan and I drew a picture of the famous racehorse, Whirlaway. I had just read a story about him and how he was known for his long tail. Needless to say, the tail on this picture was extremely long! I was fortunate that my parents encouraged my art.



What is your favorite medium?
My favorite medium has always been charcoal and graphite followed by watercolors. I love the contrast of lights and darks you can achieve with charcoal and graphite. I don't do a lot of them now, have been using acrylics lately and am enjoying them greatly. I love oils, unfortunately the smell of the oil paint gives me terrible headaches!


What artists have influenced your work or provided inspiration?
George Ford Morris to me is the ultimate and my charcoals are heavily influenced by him! Helen Hayse is another I have followed, C.W. Anderson has always been a favorite. The modern day artists are Richard Stone Reeves, James Walls, and James Crow.




Please tell us a little about your pets.
We presently have 4 cats in the house-White Socks, Charlie, Heckle and Little Thing-all females, 2 at the barn-Smokey and Neighgro and I care for an old feral cat at work, Little Guy.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful horse and photo of you Gail. I am so sorry that you lost one of your friends. Wonderful interview and congratulations. I hope that much of your wonderful art sells as you work very hard at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gail, your work is absolutely wonderful, and I LOVE your charcoals and graphites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the Phot of yourself and Alpar you look so in tune, and of course enjoyed your wonderful art.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Alpar was a beautiful boy, so sorry to hear you lost him.
    Enjoyed your interview and lovely artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful interview, enjoyed everythig about it and you have created a beautiful blog. So sorry for the loss of you Alpar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone! The photo was taken in 2001. Alpar was 26 when he passed. He hated retirement so we drove him (lightly) up until 4 months before he passed. He and his brother, Alexander were reserve world champion endurance driving horses in the mid-90. I always referred to it as motor-cross racing with horses and buggy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful to get to know you - adding my sympathies to your loss of Alpar.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview, I'm happy to see a face to go with all the wonderful art I've been enjoying.

    ReplyDelete

We appreciate your comments!